Amazon.com is an American multinational electronic commerce company with headquarters in Seattle, Washington and founded by Jeff Bezos in 1994. The company is the largest internet retailer in the world as measured by revenue and market capitalization, and second largest after Alibaba Group in terms of total sales.
Amazon began as an online bookstore and eventually diversified to sell videos, MP3 downloads/streaming, audiobook downloads/streaming, software, video games, electronics, apparel, furniture and other consumer goods. The company also produces consumer electronics—notably the Amazon Kindle e-book reader and the Kindle Fire tablet computer—and is a major provider of cloud computing services via its Amazon Web Services division.
In 2017, Amazon had annualized sales of $177.87 billion and they employ over half a million people globally. In the fourth quarter of 2017 alone they added over 130,000 employees which is the fastest hiring rate we have seen for any organization within the past year.
Amazon also offers services like Prime or Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA). Prime offers free shipping and over 2 million items at no extra cost and includes access to its music and video streaming services. FBA allows individuals to sell on
Amazing Facts About Amazon
1. If the active users of Amazon formed a country, it would be two times the size of Canada.
2. Amazon Customers have 1.9 million small and medium-sized businesses to order products from on Amazon.
3. Amazon creates jobs in communities around the U.S.—400,000 new jobs in 2020 alone.
4. Amazon plans to have 100,000 electric vans delivering customers’ packages by 2039.
5. Amazon is No. 2 on Fortune’s 2021 World’s Most Admired Companies list.
6. Amazon is committed to reducing CO2 emissions and helping to improve the global warming situation. They have invested more than $1 billion in Rivian and ordered 100,000 electric delivery vans from the company.
7. Amazon has eliminated over 1 million tons of packaging material since 2015.
8. They provide their full-time employees have comprehensive benefits starting on day one.
9. Amazon employees make at least $15/hr, which is double the federal minimum wage.
10. Amazon Technical Academy helps employees become software engineers in nine months
11. Amazon has a 2021 goal to reach 1.6 million underrepresented students globally through Amazon Future Engineer.
12. Amazon has a 2021 goal to increase the number of U.S. Black software development engineer interns by at least 40%.
13. Since 2015, they have eliminated over 900,000 tons of packaging material—the equivalent of 1.6 billion shipping boxes.
14. Amazon’s Climate Pledge Friendly labels appear on more than 25,000 products.
Related: Fun YouTube Facts
15. Amazon plans to have 100,000 electric vans delivering packages to our customers by 2030, and to have 10,000 electric vans on the road as early as 2022.
16. Amazon’s Climate Pledge calls for companies to be net-zero carbon across their businesses by 2040. So far they have had 53 other companies sign up and join the pledge!
17. Amazon’s first book sale was from founder Jeff Bezos’ garage in 1995.
Video: The Story of Amazon.com: How a Bookstore Conquered the Internet
In this fascinating video you will learn about Jeff Bezos before Amazon, How amazon became a marketplace where people sell stuff online, and how it became such a titan in the data space with its amazon web services division which has revolutionized how most startups are created.
Summary of Amazon Facts
Amazon’s success is a businessman’s dream. Currently, the year-to-year revenue growth sits at 20% every year. With such ever-expanding numbers, it’s hard to see the website slowing down any time soon.
I’m Natalie Garcia and I started this website to share my love of trivia, facts and fun knowledge tidbits. We cover things like celebrity gossip, historical facts, tv shows, world leaders and just odd and random fun things. I started this site to have some fun with my hobby and share some useful information with you, our community. Please feel to send me your suggestions and feedback through the contact form. And if you have suggestions for things to write about, please shoot me a message!