The Bible is a collection of religious texts sacred to Christianity and Judaism. It is considered to be an all-time bestselling book with over 5 billion copies sold and an estimated 100 million copies sold each year. You may say that you already know what there is to know about the Bible because you are a devout Christian, but do let us prove you wrong.
The Bible is a very famous religious text. We all know that it has been an important part of many people’s lives for centuries. But, do you know how long the Bible actually is? The Bible is a book composed of different texts and it actually contains 66 books. The first book of the New Testament is called The Gospels and the last one is called Revelation. The Bible also has 30,000 verses in total which makes up 1.2 million words. It could take as long as 120 hours to read from start to finish without stopping or taking any breaks!
The Bible is an ancient book with religious relevance for both Jews and Christians as it lays the foundations for both of these religions. The complete text of the Bible spans more than 3200 pages and includes 66 books written by 40 authors over a period of 1500 years.
The most mind-bending and unusual Bible facts
1 The historical books of the Bible are: Esther, Deuteronomy, 1 Samuel, Genesis, Ruth, Numbers, Joshua, 1 Kings, Nehemiah, Ezra, 2 Chronicles, Leviticus, Exodus, 1 Chronicles, 2 Kings, 2 Samuel, and Judges.
2 Up until 120 years ago, people did not readily understand the significance of blood and thus practiced bleeding sick people—which led to death. Written 3,000 years ago in Leviticus 17:11 it was stated: “For the life of the flesh is in the blood.”
3 The word eternity occurs only once in the Bible and it can be found at Isaiah 57:15.
4 Jehovah’s Witnesses do not celebrate birthdays because there were only two birthday celebrations recorded in the Bible—and yet these celebrations was concluded in murder.
5 It is believed that the Bible are actual words coming from God and written by men inspired by God.
6 The Prophetic books of the Bible are: Haggai Amos, Joel, Zephaniah, Daniel, Malachi, Zechariah, Jonah, Obadiah, Hosea, Lamentations, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Jeremiah, Habakkuk, Nahum, and Micah.
7 The Book of Esther never mentions the word God.
8 The Bible states in Isaiah 40:22 that the Earth is round and not a flat disk as most people during that time believed. It was the Bible that inspired Christopher Columbus to set around the world; you can find this at Proverbs 3:6 footnote.
9 The Bible is the most shoplifted book in the world.
10 The Bible was written by approximately 40 different men within a period of 1,600 years. It is estimated that the Bible was written between 1500 BC and 100 AD.
11.The term “Bible” comes from an old English word for “book.”
12. In the Bible, God is always referred to as “the Lord”. The English word “Lord” is translated from a Hebrew word that means “master” or “owner”.
13. The Bible was written in Hebrew and Greek. The original texts were written with different scripts and alphabets.
14. Matthew is one of the four gospels in the Bible and one of the three synoptic gospels.
15. The Gospel of Matthew was most likely composed around 80-90 A.D., but it also might have been written as early as 60-70 A.D., or as late as 110-120 A.D. It was traditionally considered to be one of the four canonical gospels, but this status has been disputed.
16. The Bible is a religious text that is the primary scripture of the Christian religion. The bible contains these stories: a creation story, a man and woman’s disobedience to God, the garden of Eden, the fall of humankind from God’s grace, Noah’s Ark and other flood stories.
17. The Bible is a type of religious text written by many different authors from different time periods. The Bible contains stories about people from all walks of life, from kings to slaves.
18. The Bible is the best-selling book of all time. There are over 6 billion copies in print and is translated into over two thousand languages. The most popular translation in the United States is the New International Version (NIV).
19. The Bible was originally written on scrolls which were made out of animal skins so they would be durable enough to last for years, but now it can be found in many different formats including digital ones that can be accessed anywhere at anytime.
20. The Bible is a sacred book, and it’s also one of the most translated books in human history. The Bible has been translated into 2,200 languages and dialects.
21.There are several different spellings for Jesus’ name including: Yeshua, Jeshua, Yahshua and Yosef (Hebrew).
22. The word “Bible” comes from the Latin word “biblia” which means “books.”
23. The earliest known copies of the Bible date back to 250 AD.
24. The Bible is the world’s best-selling book of all time. It has been printed more than any other publication
Adam and Eve – In the Garden of Eden
This is a fun animated video of the Biblical account of the Adam and Eve. To recap, God created the first man Adam and then created the first woman, Eve. God put Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden to care and nuture the land. He told Adam and Eve that they could eat from any fruit from the trees except for the tree of good and evil. God warned them that if they ate from the tree they would die.
One day Satan came disguised as a snake and spoke to Eve, convincing her to eat the fruit from the tree of good and evil. Eve told the serpent that God said they should not eat it and they would die if they did, but Satan tempted Eve to eat saying that she would become like God if she did.
Eve believed the lie and took a bite of the fruit. She then gave some to Adam for him to eat. Adam and Eve, now knowing that they had sinned, immediately felt ashamed and tried to hide from God.
Related: Facts about Christmas Eve
Summary of Bible Facts
Many have wondered if the Bible is really based on facts or real stories that happened in the past. It has been shown through several historians that the Bible is historically accurate. Among the most well-known of historians are Josephus who is a Jewish historian and Tacitus who is a Roman historian. If you want to see that the Bible is indeed based on factual events, all you have to do is look up the findings of these historians.
I’m Natalie Garcia and I started this website to share my love of trivia, facts and fun knowledge tidbits. We cover things like celebrity gossip, historical facts, tv shows, world leaders and just odd and random fun things. I started this site to have some fun with my hobby and share some useful information with you, our community. Please feel to send me your suggestions and feedback through the contact form. And if you have suggestions for things to write about, please shoot me a message!