Coconut oil is a saturated fat that is extracted from the meat of coconut. It has been used in cooking and beauty products since ancient times for many centuries in many cultures. It has been said to have healing properties, and is full of healthy fats.
In recent years, it has become more fashionable as a cooking oil, especially in those that follow a keto (ketogenic) or low carb diet.
The best kind of coconut oil to use for cooking or health purposes is “extra virgin coconut oil” which has not been bleached, deodorized, or altered in any way.
In addition, coconut oil contains fat that is easily digested by humans. It also has anti-bacterial properties, which makes it useful for topical treatments for minor wounds or skin infections. Coconut oil can also be used in skin care products or as an ingredient in soaps and cosmetics.
Facts about Coconut Oil
1. You can use it to make soap, too. In addition to water and lye, coconut oil can be used to harden the soap and simplify its ingredients.
2. Coconut oil is a fantastic sunscreen. Apart from eating coconut oil, you can use it for cosmetic purposes to improve your skin and hair’s health and look. It has been shown to block 20% of the harmful sun UV rays.
3. It can serve as an effective mouthwash. Coconut oil has been shown to kill harmful bacteria in the mouth, fight off bad breath and improve dental health.
4. Coconut oil is thought to kill infections. 50% of coconut oil is the 12-carbon Lauric Acid. When broken down into enzymes, it forms monolaurin. Both Lauric acid and monolaurin kill viruses, bacteria and fungi and that helps to stave off infections.
Related: facts about cast iron frying pans
5. Coconut oil improves the blood cholesterol levels and lowers the risk of getting heart disease. It contains saturated fats, which increase the good HDL cholesterol while reducing the bad LDL cholesterol.
6. There is no evidence of heart disease among the Tokelauan people of the Pacific South. Coincidentally, their diet is made up off 60% coconuts.
7. Coconut oil has been found to increase Ketone bodies in the blood thereby reducing the rate of seizures in epileptic children including those who haven’t found success in other epilepsy treatments.
8. Coconut oil is medicinal. It contains medium chain triglycerides, which, after metabolizing, can possibly provide a therapeutic impact on several brain disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease.
9. Some nutritionists believe that the fat in coconut oil can kill your hunger pangs. Some research has shown that people consuming it feel fuller and thus eat fewer calories. Others doctors believe the high saturated fat should be used sparingly because of adverse cardiovascular impact.
10. Coconut oil can help you burn more fat. Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) in this oil can increase the energy expended by the body by as much as 5% in 24 hours compared to other longer chain oils leading to considerable long-term weight loss.
Video:10 Ways to Use Coconut Oil!
You will learn some fascinating tips in this video!
Related: Facts about Honey
Summary of Coconut Oil Facts
Coconut oil has very many uses that can make our lives that much better. Interestingly, it has been reported to reduce and even get rid of dog allergies, works as an incredible wood and leather polish, removes make-up from your face less harshly than store bought products, and makes for an ideal diaper cream with its anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and antiviral properties.
Finally see our facts about soda
I’m Natalie Garcia and I started this website to share my love of trivia, facts and fun knowledge tidbits. We cover things like celebrity gossip, historical facts, tv shows, world leaders and just odd and random fun things. I started this site to have some fun with my hobby and share some useful information with you, our community. Please feel to send me your suggestions and feedback through the contact form. And if you have suggestions for things to write about, please shoot me a message!