Eazy-E was the producer of the notorious 80s rap group N.W.A (Niggaz Wit Attitudes). He was a controversial figure in the rap world where he was dubbed as the “Godfather of Gangsta Rap.”
Born Eric Lynn Wright aka Eazy-E, he played an important role in popularizing hip-hop music in America, when it reached its peak in the late 1980s and early 1990s. With his aggressive lyrics and hardcore images, he became one of the most controversial figures in gangsta rap.
In the 1980s, Eazy-E was a rapper and producer from Compton, California. His album Straight Outta Compton released in 1988 is considered to be the first rap album that had been certified platinum.
In 1986, he founded a music group called N.W.A with his friend Dr. Dre and the other members Ice Cube and MC Ren. Then, in 1989, he released his second album which was titled Eazy-Duz-It which became a worldwide success and sold over four million copies as of July 2010 as well as winning him two Grammy Awards for Best Rap Performance and Best Rap Song.
Interesting Eazy-E Facts
1 He contracted HIV/AIDS and eventually passed away in1995 at the age of 31 as a result of complications of the disease.
2 His funeral was attended by more than 3,000 people who were mostly rappers. He was buried in style as his body was laid inside a golden casket.
3 Eazy-e lived on the streets when he was young. He used an alter ego and named himself Captain Kelly Park Crip when he was 13 in order to survive the violence and avoid becoming a victim to other gang members.
4 Eazy-E dropped out of high school and then followed his cousin’s footsteps by selling drugs and working on his music. The death of his cousin made him realize that he should just focus on his music and steer clear from drug dealing.
Related: Wild Kanye West Facts
5. While he was constantly traveling around the world, he had an active love life and achieved massive financial success. According to some reports, Eazy-e fathered seven children with six different women and was reported to have paid up to $50,000 per month as child support!
6. Three years after N.W.A was established, Ice Cube left the group despite the rising popularity of the group. It was reported that Ice Cube had a falling out with Eazy-E due to financial issues. As soon as Ice Cube went independent, his former group attacked him and it was reported that Eazy-E was responsible.
7. Eazy-E also had a rift with Dr. Dre due to the same financial issues. As Dr. Dre became suspicious about the finances of N.W.A, he ended his contract with Ruthless Records.
8. At the peak of the gang wars in the United States, Eazy-E was invited by President George Bush to the White House as a surprise guest. As a result to the invitation, he donated $2,500 to the campaign funds of Bush who was also running for office during that time. This shocked many people since he was supporting a Republican candidate.
Also see Tupac Shakur Facts
9. Most Kids who turn to gangs and a life of violence often lack parental support at home. But Eazy-E came from a solid family. His father worked as a postal worker while his mother worked as a school administrator.
10 Eazy-E dressed and acted like a thug. However, many of his critics believe that everything was not an act. In fact, he started the Ruthless Records in California with a $250,000 investment that is reported to have come from his profits selling drugs in his earlier years.
Video: The Tragic Real Life Story Of Eazy E
“Cruising on the street on my ‘64.” The line from the song of the same name will always be a big part of West Coast hip hop culture. It was written by none other than hip hop legend and band member of N.W.A., Easy E. He grew up in the rough streets of Compton, California in the ’70s and ’80s and his rap lyrics often depicted his experiences.
Eazy E and N.W.A. burst onto the hip hop scene with their raw and shocking lyrics that didn’t hold back their opinions. Even though he is no longer with us, his legacy in the genre is groundbreaking and will be talked about for generations. This is the tragic real-life story of Eazy E.
Related: Who Was the 5th Beatle?
Easy-E Fact Summary
Eazy-E is an American rapper who was one of the pioneers of gangsta rap. He is widely considered one of the most influential rappers in history. As you can tell, Eazy-E was one of the most influential figures in the Gangsta Rap genre. His music was appreciated by people of all ages, and he is known as “The Godfather of Gangsta Rap.”
Eazy-E died from complications from AIDS on March 26th 1995. His death marked the end of a period when Gangsta Rap dominated hip hop charts and culture.
Eazy-E’s legacy is a reminder that rap music has always been a voice for disenfranchised communities, and he helped to give rap a global reach.
I’m Natalie Garcia and I started this website to share my love of trivia, facts and fun knowledge tidbits. We cover things like celebrity gossip, historical facts, tv shows, world leaders and just odd and random fun things. I started this site to have some fun with my hobby and share some useful information with you, our community. Please feel to send me your suggestions and feedback through the contact form. And if you have suggestions for things to write about, please shoot me a message!