Most people think they know at least a little bit about Kanye West, but if you think you know it all, we guarantee you will learn some new things from this article!
Kanye is one of the most famous rappers, business moguls and entertainment figures in the world!
Here are some of the most interesting facts that every true Kanye fan should know.
- What is Kanye’s Full Name? Kanye’s full name is Kanye Omari West and it translates to “the only one” in Swahili.
- He’s appears taller than he actually! Kanye West is 5′ 8″ tall, however, he projects such a big image, most people think he is taller.
- He dropped out of college: After being awarded a scholarship to study at Chicago’s American Academy of Art for one year, he then transferred to Chicago State to study English, but then he dropped out to pursue his music career.
- Kanye is a Gemini: His birthday is on June 8th 1977.
- Kanye Lived in China when he was a kid: Kanye moved to China with his mom for a short time when he was 10 years old. She accepted a teaching job at Nanjing University as part of an exchange program and he went with her and was able to learn Chinese quickly.
- Kanye Was a Bit of Child Prodigy: He began writing poetry at the young age of five and started rapping by the time he was in third grade. He recorded his first wrap song at the age of 13 – it was a fresh take on the famous Dr. Suess poem, “Green Eggs and Ham.”
- Kanye worked “odd jobs” just like us Average Joes: After Kanye dropped out of college to pursue his music career, he needed cash and took on odd jobs to make ends meet. He worked as a telemarketer for the retailer Montgomery Ward, selling insurance to their credit card holders.
- Kanye’s Mother Death was Tragic and Unexpected: Kanye’s mother, Donda, passed away after undergoing cosmetic surgery. The official coroner’s report said that she died of heart disease while also suffering various post-operative complications after her plastic surgery procedure.
- Kanye’s Tattoos Have Special Meanings: Kanye has many tattoos, and is most proud of their special meanings. For example, the Roman numerals on his wrists represent the birth date of his daughter North and the birth date of his mother.
- He Gives a Lot to Charity! He created the Kanye West Foundation in 2003 with his mother to focus on music education. Although the foundation closed in 2011, Kanye has been active in various other charities, including World Water Day, Hurricane Katrina Relief, and others.
- Kanye Has Been Arrested a Few Times! Kanye has been arrested three times due to physical altercations with paparazzi. Kanye received probation, mandatory anger management counseling, and community service requirements – but he did not have to serve jail time as a result of these arrests.
- Kanye Has Been Suicidal: Kanye’s mental health struggles have often been public. He has acknowledged struggling with depression, bipolar disorder and even paranoia at times.
- Kanye Sponsored a Race Car: Kanye once sponsored a race car in the 2006 Formula BMW World Finals in Valencia, Spain.
- Kanye Had a Failed Travel Company: Kanye has had his share of business failures. One example was his a company he started in 2008 – Kanye Travel Ventures – it failed rather quickly which is why most people have never heard of it!
- Kanye’s Dad Had an interesting Life! Kanye’s dad, Ray West was one of the first black photojournalists at the famed Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper and a member of the Black Panthers. He was also a Christian marriage counselor, and a medical illustrator, along with many other interesting jobs.
- Kanye considers himself a Perfectionist: Kanye doesn’t release songs unless he feels they are “perfect.” For example, he spent days working on his hit song Stronger mixing it 50 different ways with eight separate engineers before finishing the hit track!
- He Took the Photo of Himself or the Ye Album! The cover for the album “ye” is actually a picture that Kanye took himself using his own iPhone! He snapped the iconic shot when traveling in Jackson Hole, Wyoming on the way to a listening party for the new album.
- Kanye Loves Fish! After earning his first big paycheck following the success of The College Dropout album, Kanye rewarded himself by purchasing a large 18-century aquarium. The aquarium was filled with 30 koi fish and a gold fountain sitting on a marble base.
- He Recorded a Hit Song While in the Hospital? Kanye is almost super human and won’t let things slow him down when it comes to music. For example, after almost dying in a car accident after falling asleep at the wheel, he recorded the song Through the Wire while still in the hospital with his jaw wired shut.
- Kanye Considers Chicago His Hometown: Although he was born in Atlanta, Kanye considers Chicago to be his hometown because he says he feels most at home there. The Windy City is a prominent theme in many of his songs. Kanye mostly resides in Los Angeles, California though.
- Kanye Paid to be on the Cover of 9 Magazines: In order to promote his new Yeezy Adidas tennis shoes, Kanye went big and bought out nine magazine covers. He is a master at self promotion!
- Kanye was Sued by Evil Knievel: The iconic daredevil Evil Knievel was not happy about the character in West’s video for the song “Touch the Sky,” and claimed that it resembled Evil, the real daredevil. They settled the dispute out of court, just days before Knievel passed away of pulmonary disease.
- Kanye West is a Burger King Franchise Owner? Kanye owns multiple Burger King franchises across Europe. According to business publication Entrepreneur, he bought 10 Burger King franchises across Europe in 2014. Picture:
- Kanye has had many famous relationships: He is currently married to Kim Kardashian, although they are in the process of getting divorced. Previously he was engaged in 2006 to marry the designer Alexis Phier. His other former girlfriends include Amber Rose, the model.
- Kanye’s Design Company DONDA Is Named After His Late Mother: Kanye’s design company is named DONDA as a tribute to his mother.
- The Bear On Kanye’s First Three Album Covers Is Called Dropout: Say hello to Dropout, the bear that frequented Kanye’s first third albums. Yah I didn’t know that was his nickname either!
- He has an impressive Net Worth! Honestly, no one really knows how much Kanye is worth but it has been reported in the hundreds of millions of dollars. He has partnerships and business ventures in music, fashion, technology, film and many other industries. He is essentially a global brand at this point!
QUIZ: How Well Do YOU Really Know Kanye? Most Can’t get Higher than 50%
What is the name of Kanye's soon to be ex-wife?
What is the Name of Kanye's 1st Child?
What was the title of Kanye's 1st album?
What is Kanye's nickname?
Which Singer did Kanye interrupt at the 2009 VMA's?
What was Kanye's Mother's name?
Jimmy Kimmel’s Full Interview with Kanye West
Kanye talks about his passion for music and fashion, what he thinks of Donald Trump, Kim’s trip to Washington D.C. to meet with him, the two motivating forces in the world, overcoming fear, being too caught up in the past, how he feels about people being mad at him, his daughter, his fashion brand, the meaning behind some of the songs on his latest album, recording his latest albums, mental health, being bipolar, and wanting everyone to be able to express themselves without fear of judgment.
I’m Natalie Garcia and I started this website to share my love of trivia, facts and fun knowledge tidbits. We cover things like celebrity gossip, historical facts, tv shows, world leaders and just odd and random fun things. I started this site to have some fun with my hobby and share some useful information with you, our community. Please feel to send me your suggestions and feedback through the contact form. And if you have suggestions for things to write about, please shoot me a message!