Did you know that plants yield 10 times more protein per acre than meat?
Here are some facts that may inspire you to eat less meat or even become a vegetarian or vegan – enjoy!
Facts for Vegetarians
1 Additionally, 80% of corn and 95% of the oats grown in the United States are fed to livestock. Studies show that these grains could feed 1,300,000,000 people in the world, including the 805 million people struggling with hunger.
2 A vegetarian diet can potentially reduce and eradicate worldwide hunger. To put this into perspective, about 20,000 pounds of potatoes can be produced on one acre of land compared to only 165 pounds of beef.
3 All Mondays in Los Angeles are meatless as part of a campaign to reduce consumption of meat.
4 Egg factories grind over 200 million live baby chicks annually. 500,000 animals are killed for meat every hour in the United States.
Related: See our facts about eggs
5 Vegans live on average 10 years longer compared to meat eaters. In fact, you lose an hour of your life for every bacon sandwich you eat.
6 Approximately 48% of chicken and turkey is infected with E. Coli, which can potentially give you serious food poisoning.
7 The meat industry contributes 14.5% of the world’s greenhouse gases.
8 Tacos, chicken nuggets and ground beef only contain 35% meat. The other 65% is a combination of meat glue, flavorings, silicon dioxide and chemicals.
9 Consumption of red meat might give you cancer. Researchers say that pork, beef and lamb contain a sugar that causes the body to trigger an immune response, producing antibodies which spark inflammation, and potentially cancer.
10 Chickens are genetically modified to grow so fast that if the same procedure was applied to a human being, he would weigh 160kgs (352 Pounds) by the time he is two years old.
Related: See our facts about chickens
Summary of Vegetarian Facts
Going vegetarian would greatly direct the world in the right direction. We would save a lot of water seeing as one pound of wheat only needs 25 gallons of water to produce while a pound of beef needs 2,500 gallons. The production of excrement would also reduce significantly given that the U.S. currently produces 250,000 pounds of livestock excrement per second compared to only 12,000 pounds of human excrement per second. Celebrities who have taken up this challenge to become vegans include Brad Pitt, Ozzy Osborne, Al Gore, Arianna Grande and Ellen DeGeneres.
GOING VEGETARIAN: TIPS FOR BEGINNERS
If you are thinking about going vegetarian at all, this video is worth a watch – Alex addresses all the common concerns and questions.
I’m Natalie Garcia and I started this website to share my love of trivia, facts and fun knowledge tidbits. We cover things like celebrity gossip, historical facts, tv shows, world leaders and just odd and random fun things. I started this site to have some fun with my hobby and share some useful information with you, our community. Please feel to send me your suggestions and feedback through the contact form. And if you have suggestions for things to write about, please shoot me a message!